Meghalaya is unquestionably one of our favorite places. Meghalaya, situated in the hills of the eastern sub-Himalayas, is one of India's most beautiful states. Meghalaya is located halfway between heaven and earth. The climate in Meghalaya is tropical. Meghalaya welcomes you with a breathtaking array of sights and experiences, including steamy jungles and spellbinding cliffs, rushing rivers, unique cultures, delectable cuisines, windswept highlands, and lush, verdant valleys. The winter months of October to March are ideal for a visit. Meghalaya's unforgettable landscapes will stay with you long after your journey is over.
So hop in and find out more about this trip!
- Guwhati to Guwhati
What is included in the tour
- Guwahati to Guwahati transportation via NON AC car/SUV/Tempo traveler as per batch size.
- Accommodation 3/4 sharing basis
- Boating & cliff jumping with safety gear in Dawki river.
- Entry fees.
- First Aid.
- Local Guide
- Certified Organizers.
What is NOT included in the tour
- 5% GST
- Checking into the hotel early.
- Any Meals . (restaurants are available at the property you can buy food there)
- Zip-Lining charges at Mawkdok.
- Bike fuel in case you opted for a bike
- Anything which is not mentioned under Inclusions.
- Any kind of personal expenses, optional tours, insurance, laundry.
- Costs incidental to any changes in the itinerary due to bad weather or natural calamities which is beyond our control.
Report at Guwahati airport before 10:00 AM.
Note 1 - In case you're gonna reach Guwahati anytime earlier than the trip starting day, our team will be happy to help you out with suggestions for good stays,
places to visit around, and any other doubts you might have.
Note 2 - Pick up from your stay location or the nearest location shall be arranged if it falls in the same route.
Note 3 - Please freshen up & have your breakfast before 10:00 AM itself. The food court is available at just a minute's distance once you come outside the airport.
- Else, several restaurants are available at a distance of a kilometer on the way to VIP Chowk from the airport exit. You can keep the luggage inside our vehicle and head there. Once started vehicle will not halt for breakfast on the way.
- We will start at the airport at 10:10 AM. So today we are traveling from the southernmost part of Assam to almost close to the Indo-Bangla border. This journey is gonna be the longest of all days. Just after an hour, as you get into the vehicle be ready to witness SIX route intersections between the states of Assam & Meghalaya. Yes! You will be crisscrossing the two states around 6 times as the route leads.
- The route undergoes the transition from the bustle of a typical city to a highway surrounded by green hills & clouds to thin roads through the small villages & green landscapes eventually.
- By the time we are about to reach the Mawkdok valley, you will experience the transition in temperature as well, going from typical hot winds of around 30 degrees Celcius of Guwahati to chiller winds of around 15 degrees Celsius in Mawkdok. It will take us between 4 to 5 Hr to reach the Mawdok Valley. On the way, we shall halt at Umiam lake viewpoint; grab few bites of juicy pineapples while seeing a picturesque sight of the lake.
- It will be around 02:00 PM when we reach Mawkdok Valley; although the weather might give you sweet surprises one after another like fog followed by rains followed by bright sunny rays! Here, get ready for an adrenaline rush! East India's longest Zip-Line it is! The total length of the zip-line is 2600 ft & the maximum depth is 1200 ft. It makes for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The instructors are trained technically and certified; they give pre-instructions to get your posture right & boost your confidence.
- Post this, we'll have our lunch in the nearby café & visit a small waterfall in the vicinity. It's the same waterfall that you've seen while doing the zip-lining through the valley by this time.
- Then we will head to stay. It takes hardly an hour from here to reach the stay.
- Today's stay is one of our team's favorite stays! It's a group of bamboo huts clubbed on a tiny hill in the remote areas of East Khasi hills.
- The local Khasis who will be serving the dinner to you are one of those simple & lovely people who are a bit shy & naive.
- You can use your skills in simple Hindi & English to interact with them to know more about their culture
- Total journey: 115 Km
- Estimated travel time: 4 Hr
- Activities: Swimming, Boating, Cliff jumping
- Places: Krang Shuri waterfall, Dawki river, Indo-Bangla border in water & on land
- Stay: Bamboo Huts in Pynursla(A Good bed to Sleep and Clean Wash room to get things done!.)
- Detailed Itinerary:
- Note 1 - You need not carry all your luggage; it will remain in the stay place itself. Carry one extra pair of clothing, a water bottle, snacks, sandals (No need for shoes today), cap - raincoat as per the season, some cash & that would be sufficient for the day!
- Note 2 - We'll be getting into the water twice throughout the day. The quick-dry clothing will be helpful for this purpose, do wear a quick-dry pair of clothes right from the morning.
- The day shall start as early as 06:00 AM. Today is all about water activities! Those azure blue waters will get hold of your heart so much that the kid in you won't feel like getting out of the water at all! It takes less than two hours to reach Krang Shuri waterfall from the stay. The route goes through small hills with green trees & bushes all around you. Be ready to capture the sight of Bangladesh through your windows after around half an hour. The sands that you see from here & the area belonging to that side is Bangladesh. We shall be coming back here to swim post we visit Krang Shuri waterfall.
- As we reach the Krang Shuri waterfall we'll have a quick breakfast and start the hike to the waterfall immediately. It's a hike of around 10-15 minutes that goes through the forest. Just a matter of 2-3 minutes more till you collect the life jackets & wear them (Yeah, they are mandatory!) and the waterfall is all yours to explore! We spend plenty of time here playing in the azure blue water!
- Post this we will be heading to the boating point in Dawki river. It takes almost an hour to reach there. As you walk down towards the boats, you will see a board saying "Do Not Cross The Border - India" towards your left. Don't be tempted to cross it because the Indian check post is hardly at a few meters distance behind you & a BSF personnel will be somewhere around you keeping a watch. ;)
- We'll wear life jackets & start the boat ride. In the same boat ride, the boatman will be taking us to the cliff jumping point and then at the end to a small island. The height of the cliff is around 25 ft. And jumping off that is a once-in-a-lifetime experience! Non-swimmers need not worry even a bit; we are wearing life jackets & the support of local boatmen makes it quite easy for us to jump. If you're a swimmer, don't forget to carry your swimming goggles!
- Sometimes, some boatmen are singing their local songs and that creates an altogether different vibe! The transparent water, the boating through the water splashing through the cut rocks, is sure to put your soul into a different world!
- We spend plenty of time here. There are several stalls near the steps for quick bites. On the main road, you'll find fresh fruits like oranges, pineapples, berries etc to munch on.
- Post this we head back to the stay, it takes around 40 minutes to reach from here.
- Total journey: 110 Km
- Estimated travel time: 5 Hr
- Highlights: Mawryngkhang Bamboo Trek, Natural water pool, Wei Sawdong waterfall
- Activities: Trekking, Swimming
- Trek Time:
1. Mawryngkhang Bamboo Trek - Approx. 3-4 Hr up & down
2. Hike to Wei Sawdong Waterfall - Approx. 15 Min one way
- Stay: Jungle resort near Tyrna(A Good bed to Sleep and Clean Wash room to get things done!.)
Note 1 - You will be carrying all your luggage today as we are moving to another destination. Pack one extra pair of clothing, water bottle, snacks, cap - raincoat as per the season - in a small sack so that you can carry it during the trek.
Note 2 - Wear your sports shoe/ trekking shoe which will help you to get a good grip in the trek.
- Today we are heading to one of the most off-beat places - Mawryngkhang Bamboo Trek & Wei Sawdong waterfall. The former is literally a skywalk made of bamboos & the latter is a beautiful 3 layered waterfall.
- It takes around an hour to reach the Wahkhen village from where our trek is going to start. We will be having a heavy breakfast on the way. As you take the left turn from the Pomlum village, you will climb a hill that is surrounded by a bamboo forest. After crossing the hill, you will reach Wahkhen. It is a small village which falls under East Khasi hills. There are a few small stalls at the starting point from where you can buy some snacks.
- So in this unique trek, you will be walking on bamboo bridges starting from the Wahkhen village to the endpoint - U Mawryngkhang stone. This stone has an interesting folk tale behind it. How about reaching on the top and then listening to the tale?
- The trek has an initial descend for around 25 minutes into a valley where the Umrew river flows. You will cross this river over a few bamboo bridges & few stones & that's where the ascent of another hill starts. This ascent will take you through the lush green forest, where the water stream accompanies you towards your left. Birds chirp, the wind blows through the trees like a whistle, the sound of the water waves - it all brings nothing but solitude to your soul. After around two hours you'll reach the U Mawryngkhang stone. We shall spend some time here capturing the beautiful view. Returning is through the same route.
- As we return to Wahkhen village, we will quickly head to Wei Sawdong waterfall. On the way, we will have a quick lunch. It takes under 2 hr to reach there from Wahkhen.
- One has to hike down for around 15 to 20 minutes to reach the waterfall. There's only one word to describe the sight of this waterfall - Heavenly! Teal blue water flowing in 3 layers from one into another - in a poetic mind that imprints as a swimming pool of a heavenly angel! Before it gets dark we shall get going from here.
- Within the next one & a half hours, we will reach today's stay. This is our team's most favourite stay! It is secluded from the bustle of a village - completely into the forest. The women who will be serving the freshly prepared food will find them in dresses draped in their local style. The stay has few viewpoints which we shall explore over our two days of the stay.
- Total journey: 15 Km
- Estimated travel time: 1 Hr
- Activities: Trekking, Swimming
- Highlights: Double Decker Root Bridge (UNESCO World Heritage Site), Suspension Bridges, Living Root Bridges, Natural Pools, Rainbow Waterfall
- Trek Distance: 4.5 Km (One way), Trek Time: 4-6 Hr
- Stay: Jungle resort near Tyrna (A Good bed to Sleep and Clean Wash room to get things done!.)
- Note 1 - Today as well, you need not carry all your luggage. Just carry your daypack along with one extra pair of clothing.
- Note 2 - Do wear a quick-dry pair of clothes & shoes right from the morning. Make sure you carry plenty of water & healthy snacks like energy bars, fruits, beverages like lemon juice/ fruit juices/ ORS which provide instant sugars to your body.
- Today is all about the longest & most rewarding hike of this trip! So it starts from Tyrna village - to the Double-decker root bridge - to the Rainbow waterfall in the end. The total distance is 9 km to & fro. The hike involves descending around 3500 steps to enter the valley, then ascending a hill & a traverse towards the right to reach the Rainbow waterfall. This hike unlike the Bamboo trek is quite popularised & hence you will find a bunch of shops after every 500-600 meter. The route goes through a lush green forest all around & you will come across azure blue water pools on the way.
- The double-decker root bridge is a wonderful sight to behold! It is said to be around 200 years old. From Tyrna, it takes around 1 hrs & 15 minutes to reach here. On the way, we cross suspension bridges. We will have breakfast here. Post that, we head to Rainbow waterfall.
- It will amaze your mind to see the roots of trees entwined into each other across long long lengths & holding up the weight of a bunch of us human beings. Apart from the double-decker bridge, you will come across the living roots once or twice more. Keep your eyes awake & wide!
- After 4.5 km, we will reach the Rainbow waterfall, the sound of which falls onto your ears from around 100 meters behind. And the adventurous kid in you won't stop but run towards it! That sight is what is wholly rewarding. And swimming into those azure blue waters is just beyond words!
- We shall spend a plentiful time here.
- We come back the same way. On the way back we will have lunch. While climbing back those steps from the Double-decker bridge till Tyrna you will certainly be pushing yourself! And that's what pushes you to learn about yourself too!
- Total journey: 190 Km
- Estimated travel time: 7 Hr
- Places: Nohkalikai waterfall viewpoint
- Detailed Itinerary:
- Today is the last day of the trip. We shall visit the Nohkalikali waterfall viewpoint on the way.
- This day also acts as a buffer day. In cases where any places are missed, they can be covered today.
- You can plan your return journey after 06:00 PM from Guwahati Airport.
Kindly note that this is a buget backpacking trip with basic facilities and more experience kindly do not expect any kind of luxury or fancy things on the trip this trip is purely for people looking to Backpack Meghalaya on a budget.
- What time of year is ideal for a trip to Meghalaya?
Please bear in mind that the optimum time for Meghalaya is from October to April if you intend to visit the state. You should anticipate pleasant and forgiving weather throughout this period, with fewer summer heatwaves and chilly winter gusts. With the occasional drizzle, it will be a wonderful experience. Around -20 degrees Celsius to +5 degrees Celsius are the range of temperatures.
- How many travelers will be there in one batch?
The expected batch size is 5-15 travelers with a 50-50 male-to-female ratio (it changes depending upon the bookings)
- What are double sharing and triple sharing?
Double sharing and triple sharing are how we allot room. Double sharing is a couple of rooms where we allot 2 travelers (it is mostly preferable to couples) and triple sharing is one room allotted to 3 individuals (this is done on a gender basis)
- If my group of 3 has males and females will I get to share my triple sharing room with the opposite gender?
No, We cannot provide you with rooms this way. We only provide gender-wise rooms to avoid future conflicts
- What is the arrangement for internal transport?
Internal transport depends upon the batch size. it could be a regular 5 seater or a bigger car or it can be a bus.
Sumo/ SUV/ Tempo traveller
- Can a female traveler going alone join this trip?
You may join our trip without a doubt. Our captain specializes in handling all kind of travelers, and have the necessary knowledge to manage your needs while taking all necessary safety measures.
Day bag (20–30 liters)
Sandals or Floaters
3 Quick Dry Tees
A towel that dries quickly
Sunscreen (SPF 40+
1-liter water bottle
Toiletries in one bag
Personal First Aid Ki
People who wear glasses or sunglasses (Use photochromic glasses rather than contact lenses)
Mobile charger or power bank
- Smoking and drinking publicly is strictly prohibited.
- Throwing garbage on trails is strictly not allowed.
- Participants should carry their own waste with them
- Playing loud music in the mountains is prohibited.
- Writing anything or any activity leading to disobedience of historical places is prohibited.
- Rooms will be allotted as per male and female ratio by team captains, no requests will be entertained.
- Pick up and drop will be at the same location ( however you are free to get down on the route while return journey.)
- Team captains' decisions on any particular situation will be final for the mutual benefit of participants.
- If the behavior of any trekker is likely to cause distress or harm to themselves, our member of staff or other team members, reserve the right to terminate their trip at any time and they will have to make their own arrangements; we will not be liable for any expenses incurred as a result. We will not entertain any claims arising due to such action.
- In case of any injuries/illness on a mountain/river/waterfall during a trip/activity, Trek Panda as a company or our local staff will not be responsible. We provide adequate human staff support in these areas to ensure the basic safety of the trekker. The trekker/customer has to bear all the expenses which may arise in case of medical exigency or emergency condition.
- As it is likely that in these sorts of trips weather must be taken into account, if conditions are such that we have to change arrangements we will not be able to provide any sort of refund. If there are any other circumstances including but not limited to riot, political unrest, natural or other disaster, nuclear incident, terrorist activity, and we have to cancel a trip as a result of these circumstances, we will not be able to provide any sort of refund.
Guwhati to Guwhati-13999/-
- There will be no phone calls or WhatsApp messages accepted for cancellations. Regarding the cancellation, kindly respond to the email you received along with the payment receipt when making the reservation.
- Up to 45 days prior to the departure date, cancellations are free. (The deposit is non-refundable.)
- 44 to 30 days prior to the departure date. A cancellation fee of 10% of the entire trip cost plus the booking amount will be assessed.
- 29 to 20 days before the scheduled departure. A cancellation fee of 25% of the total trip cost plus the booking amount will be assessed.
- 19 to 10 days before the scheduled departure. A cancellation fee of 50% of the total trip cost plus the booking amount will be assessed.
- 10 to 6 days before the departure date. A cancellation fee of 75% of the total trip cost will be assessed.
- 6 days until the trip's departure. The cancellation fee will be 100% of the trip's total price.
- no-show. No refund.
- Note: There will be a 2.5% Payment Gateway and GST fees added to all reimbursements and refunds. Customers who have completed transactions using UPI will not be charged for the Payment Gateway.
- Please be aware that the booking fee for all packages and trips is non-refundable, however, if the cancellation is made three days before the departure date, a credit note may be granted (at the discretion of the organization)
- We devise the finest alternate plans, tours, or hikes in the event of official directives, severe weather, protests, landslides, or any other unanticipated events. Even when specific activities are canceled, the organization sometimes offers the best substitute; however, reimbursements are never given.
- TrekPanda will issue a voucher for the whole price and, if feasible, will also offer an alternative if a trip or trek must be canceled at the last minute due to a natural disaster or unforeseen circumstances (such as rain, blizzard, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, etc.). The coupon may be used for the same or a different trip/trek within 365 days of the departure date, up to the same cost.
- If a hike or vacation is interrupted by a disaster or other unavoidable circumstances (like rain, snowfall, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh, etc.). There would be no reimbursement.
- The customer is responsible for covering any additional costs brought on by any natural disasters or unforeseen events (such as rain, snowfall, earthquakes, landslides, strikes, bandhs, etc.). The company won't be held responsible.
- The cancellation policy varies depending on the location and the time of year.
Required forms will be mailed to you, post booking via firstname.lastname@example.org